This became the childhood home of Buzz Aldrin, “Montclair’s Man on the Moon,” who was part of NASA’s Apollo 11 mission. A plaque is in front of the house. This twin-gable Tudor Revival design occurs four times in Oakcroft: at 130 Edgemont Road, 35 Godfrey, 28 Godfrey, and here on Princeton. It was probably designed by George A. Freeman & F.G. Hasselman of New York, hired by the Godfrey Land and Building Company. This stucco house is in the Township-wide architectural survey “Montclair 1694-1982: An Inventory of Historic Cultural and Architectural Resources” (No. 0713-172). It was among the first homes to be built in Oakcroft.
20 Notable Houses
Click on each photo for more information.
This house is on the New Jersey Register of Historic Places as an example of a poured-concrete house designed by Thomas Edison to provide mass-produced affordable housing. Montclair resident Frank D. Lambie was instrumental in construction by, among other things, designing the molds. A 1910 version of this construction technique is at 420 Valley Road in Montclair.
These two houses originally stood a half-block north, on land that became Anderson Park. Charles Anderson, who donated the land for the park, teamed up with well-to-do friend and neighbor and bought these lots as the new location for the houses so that park construction could begin. The houses were moved around 1903. A photo taken in 1902 by the park’s landscape architect, John C. Olmsted, shows these houses still on the future park site.
Warning: preg_match(): Compilation failed: invalid range in character class at offset 12 in /home/histor66/public_html/wp-content/plugins/js_composer/include/classes/shortcodes/vc-basic-grid.php on line 184